Kenya is once again on the global arena after Magical Kenya was recently crowned as the World’s Leading Safari Destination at the 2017 World Travel Awards Grand Final Gala Ceremony which took place at the glamorous JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay in Vietnam, on the 10th December 2017.
Magical Kenya retained the title as World’s Leading Travel Destination for yet another consecutive year making this its third win since 2015. Under the same category, Kenya was competing against Botswana, Namibia, South Africa Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe . “A well deserved accolade that speaks of our country’s limitless tourism offering. A moment of national pride for all Kenyans!” said his excellency Honorable Uhuru Kenyatta, The President of the Republic of Kenya.
KQ also scooped the Business Class award for the fifth year in a row, beating RwandAir, EgyptAir, Royal Air Maroc and South African Airways. “ Our guests are at the heart of everything we do at the airline and these two awards confirm our undeterred commitment to them,” said Sebastian Mikosz, the Managing Director. “We continue to be focused on service improvements by listening to our customers and responding to their needs, with a firm commitment to providing improved connectivity, and quality service through our hub in Nairobi.”
The Mara also overcame fierce competition from Kruger National Park in South Africa, Serengeti National Park in Tanzania, Central Kalahari Game Reserve in Botswana, Kidepo Valley National Park from Uganda and Etosha National Park from Namibia. Diani Beach in Kwale County was voted the continent’s leading beach destination for the fourth year in a row after beating competition from beaches in South Africa, Mozambique, Zanzibar and Egypt while Kenya Tourism Board beat 10 other agents in Africa including the Egyptian Tourist Authority, Moroccan National Tourism Organisation and South African Tourism to come up tops for the sixth year running.
Other winners include:
- Port of Mombasa – Africa’s Leading Cruise Port
- Destination Kenya – Africa’s Leading Destination Management Company
- Leopard Beach Resort and Spa – Africa’s Leading Family Resort
- Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club – Africa’s Leading Hotel
- Finch Hattons – Africa’s Leading Tented Safari Camp
- Sirikoi – Africa’s Leading Luxury Lodge
- Bonfire Adventures – Africa’s Leading Travel Agency
While top winners in the Kenyan category are;
- Leopard Beach Resort & Spa – Kenya’s Leading Beach Resort
- InterContinental Nairobi – Kenya’s Leading Business Hotel
- Avis – Kenya’s Leading Car Rental Company
- Fly540 – Kenya’s Leading Domestic Safari Carrier
- Fairmont The Norfolk Hotel – Kenya’s Leading Hotel
- Palacina The Residence & The Suites – Kenya’s Leading Hotel Residences
- Presidential Suite at Tribe Hotel – Kenya’s Leading Hotel Suite
- Pollman’s Tours & Safaris – Kenya’s Leading Inbound Tour Operator
- Leopard Beach Resort & Spa – Kenya’s Leading Resort
- Heritage Hotels – Kenya’s Leading Safari Camp Brand
- Ol Tukai – Kenya’s Leading Safari Lodge
- Fairmount Mara Safari Club – Kenya’s Leading Tented Safari Camp
- Bonfire Adventures – Kenya’s Leading Travel Agency
- Abercrombie & Kent – Kenya’s Leading Travel Management Company
This article has been updated to include The World Leading Travel Destination 2017 winner.