If you are reading this article after stumbling on a social media post redirecting you to this link, you are probably a millennial! Millennials are creating a buzz which has equally trickled down to how they are redefining travel. This Generation Y age-group is becoming a key marketing target. It is therefore important to understand how these “Tripsters” travel.
Characteristics of Millennial Travellers
Millennials are experience-hungry, adventure-loving, social media-driven travellers. Take a peep into their social media profiles and travel highlights dominate their insta-feeds. A Pinterest collection of idyllic travel photographs inspires their next travel destination. Millennials have a tendency to avoid popular travel destinations and go to the unfamiliar with a quest to discover new cultures and take in unique experiences. They are all about living the experience.
Anthony Bourdain once noted that Millennials are always looking for local experiences and would rather forego a visit to the Eiffel Tower! For millennials, authentic experiences surpass other needs such as owning designer wear. After all, making fashionable statements can only last for a short while. Experiences last a lifetime. It is because of this that the new measure of social currency is the extent of travel one has made. These self-proclaimed citizens of the world view travel as a necessity and not a luxury.
Millennial Travel Trends
- They prefer active vacations such as Adventure Travel. Hiking, sailing, attending music festivals and food tours, as well as going for wildlife excursions is top on their list.
- Their choice of travel destination is greatly influenced by online media. Reviews from friends, bloggers as well as travel influencers form the basis of their itinerary. They prefer curating their own personal experiences to consulting a travel agent or taking up predefined travel packages.
- Millennials love documenting every aspect of their travel on social media. As a result, the aesthetics of travel destinations is usually considered when they are deciding about places to stay.
- WiFi availability is an extreme necessity. Not only to post real time stories of their travel escapades but to also access their travel apps such as Maps and book their next Taxi or AirBnB.
- Millennials appreciate discounts, extra perks and freebies. They are always on the look-out for the next travel offer. Consequently, they tend to spend less in as much as they travel more.
- The strife to find the perfect work-life balance is something millennials are in constant battle with. Any opportunity to unplug is usually welcomed. Terms such as ‘Bleisure’ are becoming popular. Mixing leisure with work trips is a great way to fit vacations into their busy schedules.
How to Tap into Millennials
Players in the travel and hospitality industry are more than ever tweaking their offerings so as to accommodate millennials who are in no doubt the largest travel age-group in the market. Design driven properties are becoming a priority. Quality imagery is being used to market places to stay or visit. Photography plays a big role in telling one’s story. This is what captures the attention of millennials as they are scrolling through listings on the internet.
Players are becoming very keen on their social media standings and web presence. Ensure your website is sleek, user friendly and up to date. Engaging more personally with the millennials on social media goes a long way in dropping the marketing speak. Promote valuable amenities within your property as well as the local area. Incorporating incentives such as village tours, cycling within the locality or even discounted concert tickets to an event happening around will truly pull the millennial crowd into your property.